A few weeks ago I switched back to Linux at home, because the training for the Spring Certification exam ended (setting up the official working environment on Linux was a pain, that’s why I worked on Windows for a while). At home I have SolusOS, which takes care by himself of updates and stuff( I chose because it was more suited for a laptop). Switching back to Linux at home, made me fell like working on Linux at work too, so I remembered I had a VirtualBox machine with Gentoo on it. So I started it and begin updating it, because the poor thing was not used in a while, so this process was unavoidable.
I intended to run the basic command for updating a Gentoo system, as recommended on their official site:
# emerge --update --deep --newuse world
# emerge --depclean
Unfortunately it was not so easy, because I have stumbled across this problem. So kinfocenter-4.9.3 failed to compile and the problem was a missing library, obviously, but the log message was not very clear. I have to mention that when it comes to Linux I am not such a guru, so after trying the solution on the forum and failing miserably, I stared trying anything just to make this work.
The problem was obviously with the media-libs/mesa library. I had the 9.0 version installed already and as I figured from the forum topic kinfocenter-4.9.3 depended on mesa-8.0.4-r1. Apparently the solution was simple, just unmerge the current version and install the required one, the old one. Which I did, meaning I unmerged mesa-9.0. And after doing that, I had an idea.
What if I used revdep-rebuild? Because that’s what the manual says it does:
revdep-rebuild scans libraries and binaries for missing shared library
dependencies and attempts to fix them by re-emerging those broken bina-
ries and shared libraries. It is useful when an upgraded package
breaks other software packages that are dependent upon the upgraded
And I used it. And it worked, kinfocenter-4.9.3 was installed successfully and is working fine with mesa 9.0 which was automatically installed by revdep-rebuild. :| So my solution to fix this is made of two steps:
# emerge --unmerge media-libs/mesa
After revdep-rebuild finished I continued with the update of the system, and so far all is working great.
Sometimes it’s better not to be a guru in a specific domain, because it gives you the opportunity to find new and simple solutions.